Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I Discover That I Have a Doppleganger

There are two other offices on the same floor as [redacted]. One of them houses Quick Turn Luke (who I haven't seen in a while and who apparently has been replaced by The Evil Professor and Unfortunately Shaped Fat Guy). I also sometimes run into Nicotine Girl and her Maybe Gay Guy Friend.

Nicotine Girl (duh) smokes. A lot. Like, every time I head to the restroom, she and Maybe Gay Guy Friend are waiting at the elevator so she can get her fix. From what I can tell, Maybe Gay Guy Friend doesn't smoke. And now that I think about it, I bet that when they tell the story, she's all, "And then there's the guy on the floor I work on who's, like, always peeing. I think he has a bladder infection." But I totally don't. I just drink lots of water. So whatever, I see them a lot, and there's this weird...vibe between Maybe Gay Guy Friend and me. There's also this they're-totally-talking-about-me-in-the-elevator-on-the-way-down feeling, too. So: hello schizophrenia. But back to the vibe. I don't know if it's flirty or malicious, which is troubling since those are two emotions one would hopefully be able to differentiate; all I know is, there is one.

For a while, I had a Vandyke-ish thing going on with my facial hair, only without the moustache part; so I guess what I really had was an Amish Vandyke, only my pants all have zippers. But we're losing focus here. A couple of weeks ago, in an awkward grooming accident, I found myself sans Vandyke. It's not that I looked great with the Vandyke; however, I look considerably younger and my face more roundish without it.

Today, as I'm coming back from lunch with my friend Nancy and our boss The Ballsy Career Gal, I pass Nicotine Girl and Maybe Gay Guy Friend -- and he's got my facial hair. Which he didn't have before. And what makes the whole thing even weirder is that he and I had run into each other once in the men's room shortly after my facial hair disappeared, and I saw him do the tiniest of double takes.

And now? He's me -- from the past.

So how do I proceed? I mean, I can't necessarily say, "Hey, nice chin pubes," because we never had that relationship before he went all hirsute. But I also feel like there needs to be some acknowledgment of our dopplegangeresque role-reversal. Maybe I'll grow back only the left side of my facial hair, and I'll see what he does with that.

Yeah. That sounds like just the plan...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I met yet another one of my dopplegangers this past weekend---I have many---and she kept coming up to me to ask if we had ever met before because I looked so familiar. It was all I could do not to shake her, "Of course, I look familiar. I'm your reflection!"

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home